Gardening for kids is a very popular family activity to get them active and engages in nature. And, naturally, kids love to play in dirt and water. Every gardener knows we’ve got plenty of both in the garden. Children and gardening are a natural fit!
Engage kids in the gardening process by equipping them with their own set of tools! We carry a full line of gardening tools specially designed for small hands and big imaginations.
When my children were little they loved helping in the garden. They took turns carrying the watering can to the potted plants on the patio, and bargained to determine who got to harvest the first cucumber. They ate sweet peas directly off the vine and grew their own Nasturtiums from seed. As adults, they carry on with healthy eating habits established in their youth, and they both remain deeply appreciative of gardens and green spaces.
A number of studies* have validated what we gardeners intuitively know – that gardening is good for kids. The benefits of gardening with children include:
- Nurtures self-confidence
- Encourages healthy eating habits
- Strengthens the family bond
- Develops responsibility and patience
- Positively impacts mood & psychological wellbeing
- Builds motor skills
- Instills an understanding of life cycles
- Teaches the importance of insect pollinators
- Broadens understanding of ecosystems and the importance of the environment