First Saturday Lime is Jessica’s favorite new product in the shop. It’s a natural, safe, effective product that has so many functions, and it’s especially useful for those that keep (and love) chickens, small livestock or horses. First Saturday Lime is safe for children, pets and organic farming, and unlike caustic Hydrated Lime, it’s is absolutely safe. Here are some applications:
This item is currently out of stock at our garden center.
Organic Pest Barrier
First Saturday Lime is a healthy alternative to pesticides. Pour around the exterior of your home once a month to control crawling insects.
Prevent Algae Growth
Sprinkle lightly on the surface of water to control algae growth in water bowls, troughs and bird baths. This also greatly reduces the population of mosquito larvae.
Protect Barnyard Friends from Fleas, Ticks & Mites
A light application of in animal bedding will help:
- Keep away insects
- Neutralize acid from urine
- Repel pests that can carry disease
- Kill most bug larvae (fleas, lice, mites)
- Reduce moisture and discourage the growth of bacteria
- Reduce odors
Chicken Dust Bath
Provide your backyard flock with a large “bathing dish” filled with a mixture of equal parts First Saturday Lime, sand, and loose soil. They will love fluffing this light mixture through their feathers and it will provide natural protection from fleas, ticks, and mites.
Deodorize Animal Enclosures
- Remove pets and all bedding from their housing area
- Wash all blankets, pillows, or other bedding materials
- Sprinkle a thin layer of First Saturday Lime over the surface area
- Wait an hour before letting your pet back into the area
- Sweep up the loose lime dust
- Put down clean bedding. Note: don’t worry about leftover First Saturday Lime dust – a small remaining amount acts as an insect repellent when used in bedding.
- Enjoy a clean, healthy space for your dogs and pets
Stop by Heyden’s Gardens and pick up First Saturday Lime, then mark your calendar for the First Saturday of each month. A monthly application will help keep your stable and animal enclosures clean, dry, deodorized, and pest-free.